- “She’s not a normal kid. She does things, and says things. She’s a grown-up in a six-year-old’s body in a lot of ways.”
Claim: She’s not a normal kid.
2. “Brannan gave the packet to Katie’s kindergarten teacher, but thinks the teacher just saw it as an excuse for bad behavior.”
Claim: thinks the teacher just saw it as an excuse for bad behavior.
3. “Last fall, she switched Katie to a different school, where she hopes more understanding will lead to less anxiety.”
Claim: she hopes more understanding will lead to less anxiety.
4. “She certainly looks like a normal kid when she comes down from her room dressed for tap class. In a black leotard, pink tights, and shiny black tap shoes, she looks sweet as pie”
Claim: “she looks sweet as pie”
5. “One time, a bad guy in Iraq had a knife and my dad killed him,” she says, apropos of nothing.”
Claim: a bad guy in Iraq had a knife
6. “Brannan is stern but impeccably patient.”
Claim: Brennan is stern.
7. “That kind of small talk recently ruined a birthday party one of her classmates was having at Chick-fil-A. “
Claim: That kind of small talk recently ruined a birthday party
8. “Katie is sorry—God, is she sorry, you can see it in her face and guilty shoulders, but she seems to feel like she can’t help it”
Claim: Katie is sorry
9. “Once, she asked Brannan to take her to a hypnotist, so he could use his powers to turn her into a good girl.”
Claim: use his powers to turn her into a good girl
10. “She doesn’t know why Katie adapted this story about confiscating a weapon from an insurgent into a story about bloodshed, but she isn’t too happy about it.”
Claim: she isn’t too happy about it.